Orange County chemical threat prompts Newsom emergency order
Orange County chemical threat widened after Gavin Newsom declared a state emergency, expanding state support as 40,000 evacuees remained displaced.

California Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency on Friday as crews in Orange County tried to keep a tank of methyl methacrylate at a Garden Grove aerospace facility from exploding or leaking, widening state support and coordination for roughly 40,000 people under evacuation orders.
The order pushed what had begun as a local hazardous-materials response into a state-backed emergency. In a statement cited by The Guardian, Newsom said resident safety was the top priority and that California was mobilizing “every state resource available” to support local responders and nearby communities while the danger continued.
Officials said the tank held an estimated 6,000 to 7,000 gallons of the chemical and had reached 90F when crews checked the gauge. That hazard kept a broad evacuation zone in place around Garden Grove as responders tried to stop the vessel from overheating further.
The evacuation order still faced resistance. CNN reported that about 6,000 people inside the zone had refused to leave even as officials warned that a tank failure could turn an industrial emergency into a broader public-safety crisis.
Craig Covey, an Orange County Fire Authority division chief serving as unified incident commander, told CNN that crews were not prepared to let the vessel rupture. “Letting this thing just fail and blow up is unacceptable to us,” he said.
What the order changes
Newsom’s declaration did not end the evacuation or remove the immediate risk at the site. It formalized state involvement in an operation that local officials had already described as too large and too dangerous to treat as a routine county incident, while giving Sacramento a more direct role in supporting the response.
Emergency declarations can widen access to personnel, coordination and other state support, but they do not resolve the technical problem on their own.
Fire crews still had the same narrow task: keep the tank stable, hold the perimeter and reduce the number of residents who remained inside the evacuation area.
The scale of the evacuation added to the pressure. About 40,000 people were under orders to leave, while officials were still dealing with roughly 6,000 residents who had stayed behind, according to the Guardian and CNN reports. That gap left commanders trying to show that the threat remained serious even as the operation expanded beyond county resources.
Newsom said in the statement cited by The Guardian that “The safety of Orange County residents is the top priority.” He added that the state was moving resources to make sure responders and residents had what they needed to stay safe, language that pointed to a response that could last beyond a short-term evacuation.
Garden Grove police chief Amir El-Farra and the unified command were operating under a declared state emergency as they monitored the tank and the evacuation zone around it. Until crews could bring the vessel under control and clear the area, the governor’s order made clear that the incident had grown from a local hazmat threat into a wider public-safety emergency.
Ramona Castellanos
US politics correspondent covering Congress, primaries and the Trump administration. Reports from Washington.



