Kyiv missile and drone attack injures 3 after warnings
Kyiv missile and drone attack injured at least three people after overnight explosions, hours after warnings of a major Russian strike.

Russia launched a heavy overnight missile and drone assault on Kyiv early Sunday, sending explosions across the Ukrainian capital hours after officials warned Moscow could be preparing a major retaliatory strike.
Reuters reported that debris fell in at least three districts and that at least three people were injured. Bloomberg reported earlier that local officials had put the initial injury toll at one. Explosions were heard from about 1 a.m. local time, Reuters said, while air-raid alerts stayed in place across the city.
Hours before the attack, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had warned in a statement on X that Ukrainian intelligence, backed by information from American and European partners, had received data suggesting Russia was preparing a strike that could involve the Oreshnik missile. Vladimir Putin had already vowed retaliation for a recent Ukrainian attack inside Russia, and Kyiv was bracing for a response.
“Our intelligence services reported receiving data, including from American and European partners, about Russia preparing a strike with the Oreshnik missile.”
— Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukrainian president
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said debris from intercepted targets fell in several parts of the city as air defenses engaged incoming missiles and drones. CNN reported that Tymur Tkachenko, head of the Kyiv city military administration, described a “massive ballistic attack” as the barrage unfolded.
The Oreshnik warning added to the tension around the assault. Reuters said the missile can travel at more than 10 times the speed of sound. Early reports on the overnight attack did not confirm that it had been used.
The first hours after the strike left an uneven picture of the damage. Officials had not yet published a full casualty tally or a definitive account of the weapons used. That helped explain why Bloomberg’s earlier report and Reuters’ later account differed on the number of people hurt.
What the strike signals
Kyiv also used the attack to press its case with allies. In a second post, Zelenskyy said Moscow had to face more pressure so the war did not widen further. He cast the night’s barrage as a fresh escalation that required a faster response from partners.
“Pressure must be put on Moscow so that it does not expand the war.”
— Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukrainian president
The overnight assault fit the pattern Zelenskyy and his allies had described since Saturday: a retaliation cycle measured in hours, not days. Intelligence alerts were public by the evening, and the capital came under fire after midnight.
For now, the broad sequence is clear from the initial reporting. Russia threatened a response, Ukrainian officials warned that a major strike could follow, and Kyiv then came under one of its heaviest overnight missile and drone attacks in recent months.
Further updates from Kyiv are likely to sharpen the casualty count and identify the mix of missiles and drones used in the assault. The strike left the capital under air-raid alerts again and showed how quickly Moscow’s retaliation threat turned into another night of attacks over the city.
Anya Voronova
Eastern Europe correspondent covering the war in Ukraine, Russia and the Caucasus. Reports from Warsaw.
Related

Zelenskyy vows reprisal after deadly Russian strike on Kyiv

Russia hits Danube port as Ukraine sends drones to Moscow

Putin and Zelensky declare rival Victory Day ceasefires as 26 die in fresh strikes

Oreshnik missile threat tests Ukraine after Putin vow
