Mon, May 18, 2026Headlines on the hour, every hour
US Politics

Trump voter-check push opens early midterm purge fight

Federal voter-eligibility checks have opened an early 2026 midterm fight over election integrity and the risk of wrongful voter purges.

By Ramona Castellanos4 min read
U.S. Department of Justice sign in Washington, D.C.

The Trump administration is expanding a federal voter-eligibility checking programme that has already run at least 67 million registrations through its database, opening an early midterm fight over whether the checks tighten election integrity or risk knocking eligible voters off the rolls by mistake.

State officials put more than 60 million registrations through Department of Homeland Security SAVE checks in roughly a year, according to a PBS NewsHour report based on AP reporting. Those sweeps flagged about 24,000 potential noncitizens and 350,000 people who appeared to have died.

Supporters say the numbers show states finally have something that works. Voting-rights groups look at the same scale and see a different risk: outdated or incomplete records catching eligible voters who do not realise they have been flagged until they show up to vote and are turned away.

The issue has sharpened ahead of the midterms. The administration describes the checks as routine list maintenance. Critics say the SAVE database was designed for immigration verification, not as a broad election-roll filter, and can mismatch records that are old, incomplete or entered differently across agencies. Each disputed match carries more weight, they argue, when election officials are processing millions of names instead of a few thousand.

Freda Levenson, legal director at the ACLU of Ohio, told the PBS/AP report that timing could determine whether an error becomes a disenfranchisement. “If a voter is wrongly removed, by the time they learn about it and correct it, they may miss their opportunity to vote in that election,” she said. Lawsuits and public warnings from voting-rights groups now centre on the same point: a mistaken purge close to balloting is hard to reverse even when the voter is ultimately eligible.

Texas voter Anthony Nel, one of the plaintiffs in the litigation, said the programme had already shown its flaws. “It’s clear that this process that they’ve put into place for this doesn’t work,” Nel said. North Carolina recently ran 7.4 million registrations through SAVE, the report noted — a figure that shows how fast a state can scale the checks once officials decide to use them.

Supporters say the alternative is to leave states with no reliable method for flagging ineligible registrations. Scott Schwab, the Kansas secretary of state, called SAVE “one of the most important tools states have to verify voter information” in the PBS/AP account. The administration has framed stronger list maintenance as basic election administration, not suppression. Under that logic the checks identify names for review rather than triggering automatic removals.

The fight is widening beyond the database itself. Reuters reported last month that voting-rights groups sued over a separate federal demand for state voter rolls, drawing the Justice Department into a broader clash over voter data and enforcement leverage.

That case does not settle the SAVE question. But it shows how fast a verification tool can become entangled in arguments about federal pressure on states and who carries the risk when the underlying records are wrong.

CNN reported this month that Trump and Republican officials were testing how aggressively they could pursue voter-roll purges before Election Day, giving critics a wider backdrop for their warnings. Administration allies counter that election officials are required to keep accurate rolls and that any system identifying possible mismatches is an improvement over leaving those names unexamined.

The narrower question is what error rate becomes acceptable when getting it wrong means a lawful voter cannot cast a ballot. A programme that works as a quiet back-office check in an off year can look different when states are reviewing millions of registrations ahead of a national election. If the sweeps stay narrow and voters get early notice, officials can argue the process is manageable. If the checks come late and voters have little time to challenge a flag, critics say the system could accomplish in practice what no court has ordered: a smaller electorate, produced by administrative error rather than by law.

For now the administration has turned voter-list maintenance from a technical question into a headline midterm issue. The next fights are likely to play out in courtrooms, state election offices and the calendar, not only in campaign rhetoric. That is where the competing claims get tested: whether SAVE proves to be a sharper tool for confirming eligibility, or the first move in a purge fight that critics say could keep lawful voters away from the ballot box.

Anthony NelDepartment of Homeland Securitydonald trumpFreda LevensonJustice DepartmentNorth CarolinaSAVE voter-eligibility programScott Schwabtexas
Ramona Castellanos

Ramona Castellanos

US politics correspondent covering Congress, primaries and the Trump administration. Reports from Washington.

Related