Thu, May 21, 2026
Headlines on the hour, every hour
US Politics

Trump's $1.8 billion fund triggers a constitutional fight

Trump's $1.8 billion fund faces lawsuits, Republican resistance and scrutiny over whether a president can steer taxpayer money to allies and possibly himself.

By Ramona Castellanos7 min read
Trump's $1.8 billion fund triggers a constitutional fight

Donald Trump’s new Anti-Weaponization Fund is moving quickly from a settlement oddity to a broader test of how far a president can use the machinery of government to steer taxpayer money toward allies, and whether the other branches can stop him before the money goes out the door.

The program, announced by the Justice Department at $1.776 billion, grew out of Trump’s decision to drop a $10 billion IRS lawsuit and replace it with a compensation scheme for people the administration says were targeted by federal power under Democratic presidents. That design has pulled in three separate camps at once: skeptics who see an obvious self-dealing risk, congressional critics who argue Congress never appropriated the money, and legal analysts who say the first question is not outrage but who has standing to block it.

For opponents of the plan, the split matters because the fund’s political vulnerability may be greater than its immediate legal vulnerability. Lawyers quoted by CNBC say the courts may move slowly or narrowly, while lawmakers can try to shut the program down through legislation or appropriations. In that sense, the fight is already less about Trump’s rhetoric than about whether Article I’s control over federal spending can catch up with an executive branch that has already built the mechanism.

What makes the arrangement different from a routine settlement is its background. An ABC News report said a DOJ addendum tied to the settlement also bars future IRS auditing of Trump and his family. Earlier coverage, including The New York Times explainer, turned what could have been a technical dispute over the Judgment Fund into a more familiar question in Trump-era politics: when a president’s personal legal problems are rerouted through the federal government, where does policy end and private benefit begin?

The skeptical reading opens this story most naturally. If the executive branch can define a class of supposed victims, appoint a five-member commission and keep claims open through Dec. 15, 2028, critics do not have to prove every eventual payment is corrupt to argue the structure is permissive by design. They only have to show the architecture was built before the guardrails were.

Why the first fight is over process

Now the concern has reached the courthouse. Two Jan. 6 police officers sued to block the fund, arguing it could compensate people linked to the Capitol attack and bypass the normal constitutional path for spending public money, according to Bloomberg Law and related reporting by CNBC. Their challenge captures the skeptic’s core question: not simply whether dubious claims might be paid, but whether a payout system like this can be stood up first and meaningfully reviewed later.

The US Capitol dome in Washington, where lawmakers are moving to block the compensation fund.

The analytical answer, at least so far, is uncomfortable for opponents of the fund. Courts do not stop executive programs just because they look aggressive or novel; they stop them when a plaintiff can show concrete injury and when judges can trace the claimed harm to a reviewable legal defect. That is why several lawyers have told CNBC that Congress may have the cleanest path, even if not the easiest one politically. Legislators can say plainly that the administration is trying to use money in a way Congress never authorized and then try to bar it.

Raskin has already moved onto that ground. His legislation would block the fund outright, and his public language is designed to frame the dispute as an appropriations case rather than a messaging war over “weaponization.” As CNBC reported, he put it this way:

“The $1.8 billion slush fund is completely illegal and unconstitutional because Congress never appropriated the money.”
Jamie Raskin, CNBC

For the next week, the regulator-policy perspective is the load-bearing one. Congress does not need to win the argument in the abstract to matter here. It only needs to create enough friction, through hearings, riders, subpoenas or a direct funding restriction, to turn the program from an executive fait accompli into an ongoing interbranch dispute. The legal question, in other words, may ultimately be answered by a political institution first.

There is precedent for that sequencing in Washington even when the subject is unusual. Pressure has already spread beyond Democrats. The Hill reported that Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican, said lawmakers would try to kill the fund, while earlier reporting from the same outlet noted Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy had already described it as a “slush fund.” Once that kind of language moves across party lines, the administration no longer gets to present the issue as a fight between Trump and his usual critics.

The politics are shifting faster than the law

Another sign of the political turn is the administration’s own defense. The Justice Department announcement emphasizes procedure: a commission, claim rules and the statement that victims do not need to meet a partisan test. It is an institutional defense aimed at making the fund look like an administrable remedy rather than a presidential patronage pool.

The Supreme Court building facade, reflecting the legal limits now surrounding the fund fight.

The department’s formulation is careful for a reason. If officials can keep the case focused on neutral administration, they have a better chance of surviving the first round of scrutiny from judges and skeptical legislators alike. The department said in its release:

“There are no partisan requirements to file a claim.”
Justice Department, DOJ announcement

Still, that line does not settle the underlying problem. Neutral eligibility on paper does not answer whether the executive had authority to create the program in this form, whether the five-member commission can screen politically explosive claims credibly, or whether the fund’s existence will encourage precisely the category of applicants critics fear most. A structure can be formally open and still be politically tailored.

The history around the rollout has only deepened that impression. CNBC previously reported that the settlement expansion also shielded Trump’s past tax returns from IRS enforcement, and The New York Times reported that Treasury’s top lawyer resigned shortly after the fund was announced. Those are not dispositive legal facts on their own. They are, however, the kind of surrounding events that make legislators and judges less likely to treat the arrangement as routine executive housekeeping.

Seen from the policy-regulator angle, the urgent issue is timing. Courts can eventually decide whether a plaintiff belongs in front of them. Congress has to decide now whether it is willing to let an administration build a multi-year compensation vehicle first and ask constitutional questions afterward.

A self-dealing test disguised as a fund dispute

Trump himself has made that framing harder for his own side to contain. In public comments carried by CNBC, he described the fund in broad and personal terms:

“We’re reimbursing those people for their legal fees and for their costs and for anybody involved.”
Donald Trump, CNBC

Politically, that language matters because it sounds less like a neutral government remedy than like a promise of redress to a chosen circle. Once a president talks that way, the question stops being whether the paperwork uses careful institutional language. It becomes whether the White House has effectively claimed the power to identify its own aggrieved constituency and route public money toward it.

The self-dealing critique is stronger because it sits alongside the settlement’s other reported protections for Trump and his family. An executive branch that both ends a president’s IRS conflict and creates a $1.776 billion compensation system for allied claimants is not just testing the edges of settlement practice. It is testing how much distance still exists between the presidency and the president’s personal interests.

The broader significance, then, is not that this program is unprecedentedly large on its own, though $1.776 billion is large enough. It is that the fund compresses several institutional questions into one vehicle: the scope of the Judgment Fund, Congress’s power of the purse, the courts’ ability to police standing-based disputes, and the increasingly thin line between public authority and presidential advantage. Most Washington controversies isolate one of those fights. This one bundles them.

So the backlash has broadened fast. Skeptics see a pipeline to politically favored payouts. Analysts see a hard-to-stop program unless Congress acts first. Lawmakers see a direct test of whether executive improvisation can outrun appropriation law. Trump’s fund may eventually be cut back, reworked or blocked. But before any of that happens, it is already serving as a live measure of how much institutional resistance remains when a president turns a private grievance into public policy.

Bill CassidyBrian Fitzpatrickcongressdonald trumpIRSJamie RaskinJustice Departmentsupreme courtTodd BlancheUS Capitol
Ramona Castellanos

Ramona Castellanos

US politics correspondent covering Congress, primaries and the Trump administration. Reports from Washington.

Related