Sat, May 23, 2026
Headlines on the hour, every hour
World

Putin vows retaliation after Luhansk dorm strike kills six

Luhansk dorm strike claims led Vladimir Putin to order retaliation options after Moscow said six people were killed and 39 wounded in Starobilsk.

By Anya Voronova3 min read
Rescuers work amid debris of a destroyed dormitory building of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University following an overnight attack in Starobilsk, Luhansk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, May 22, 2026.

President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that Ukraine had carried out a deadly strike on a student dormitory in Russian-controlled Starobilsk and ordered the Russian military to prepare retaliation options, according to Reuters.

The accusation raised the stakes because Moscow described the site as a civilian student dormitory in occupied Luhansk rather than a military target. Ukraine did not claim responsibility, and the casualty toll and details from the scene remained based on statements from Russian or Russian-installed officials.

Separate reports from the BBC and Bloomberg carried the same broad account and the same caveat: the central claims came from Russian officials. That remains important because Starobilsk is in occupied territory and outside access is limited.

Russian officials said six people were killed and 15 were missing, while 39 others were wounded, after the overnight strike on the Starobilsk College dormitory. Moscow also said 86 teenagers had been inside the building, which Reuters identified as part of the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University. Those figures could not be independently verified.

In remarks carried by Reuters, Putin said the building was not near military or intelligence facilities.

“There are no military facilities, intelligence service facilities, or related services in the vicinity.”
— Vladimir Putin, Reuters

Putin said the strike came in three waves, with 16 drones hitting the same location.

“The strike was not accidental; it came in three waves, with 16 drones targeting the same location”
— Vladimir Putin, Reuters

Ukraine’s military, in a statement cited by the BBC, said its forces were:

“strictly adhering to the norms of international humanitarian law, laws and customs of war”
— Ukraine’s military, BBC

That statement pushed back on the Russian account without resolving the central dispute over what was hit in Starobilsk or who was inside the building when the drones arrived. Independent verification was not immediately possible.

Why it could escalate

For the Kremlin, the location matters. Starobilsk lies in a Russian-controlled part of Luhansk, allowing Moscow to argue that civilians under its authority, not troops near the front, were hit.

Putin’s order to prepare response options moved the episode beyond a local wartime accusation. It put the claim on the Kremlin’s public agenda and opened the way for Moscow to present any follow-up strike as a direct response.

Limited access to the site means outside confirmation may take time. Until then, the most consequential public step is Putin’s own intervention, which elevated the case from a regional claim to a matter for the Russian leadership.

No timetable for any retaliation was announced on Thursday. But the public instruction to prepare options made clear that the Kremlin was treating the episode as more than a routine battlefield report.

LuhanskrussiaStarobilskukrainevladimir putin
Anya Voronova

Anya Voronova

Eastern Europe correspondent covering the war in Ukraine, Russia and the Caucasus. Reports from Warsaw.

Related